Friday, October 20, 2006




A night out in Nagoya at a great izakaya called "Shin" in Sakae. Brian drank beer, I stuck to wine. The food was great, especially the sesame/salt cucumbers and the garlic butter potatoes. We'll be going back. We were there as a pre-sayonara party for Tanya who will be going back to Oz on the 30th. One of the more difficult aspects of being Western Woman is the inevitable saying good-bye to the other great Western Women you meet here.

I first met Tanya in 1996... Can it really be that long ago? It's because of these inevitable good-byes that sometimes I hesitate to forge new friendships when new people arrive. But then I realize that even though these friendships often have an expiry date on them as far as location is concerned, it would be a great loss to have not taken the chance to get to know the great people whose paths I have crossed. If I had said; "Oh, she's going to be gone soon, why bother becoming friends...?" there would be so many unmade memories... that would be even more sad than the actual saying good-bye. So, newcomers to Japan, I look forward to meeting you someday. To old friends who have come and gone, I miss you and think of you often.

No comments: